PDFs provide a more efficient way of transferring information in soft copy format. And with the popularity of online PDF editors, it is no surprise that people often wonder if they can get the same useful features offline.
If you are interested in learning to edit PDFs for free with or without an internet connection, then you’ve come to the right place. This article will teach you to use free editors and recommend a couple of them for beginners. So, continue reading to see how to edit PDF file for free online and offline.
Many people don’t know that the information in a PDF document isn’t set in stone. Yes, you can edit PDFs using renowned editors like Lumin PDF.
An easy PDF editor allows you to add texts, annotate, sign, combine, split, and rotate your PDF documents. There are usually online and offline applications available to help you achieve that. So, even if you don’t have an internet connection, don’t worry; you can still tweak your PDF documents on the go.
Before you sign up on an online PDF editor to edit a PDF document, you should first understand how they work.
Here is a brief overview of how to edit PDFs using an easy to use online PDF editor.
A Chrome extension can sync your accounts across devices and ensure that you get the best from your software. It is similar to downloading a PDF editor app on your phone; the only difference is that you can only use the extension with your Chrome browser.
The software opens and converts your PDF document to an editable format that you can work on without downloading the file. You can view files synced in the cloud with Chrome extensions, meaning you don’t have to worry about file loss.
To edit files using a Chrome extension:
- Install the Lumin PDF Chrome extension.
- Right-click on any document for a drop-down menu to appear.
- Click on “Open With.”
- Choose your PDF editing software. After that, you can make your changes in real-time.
With a Google Drive plugin, you can edit PDF file online and do lots more directly from your Google Drive and Dropbox. Also, when you edit a PDF, your changes sync in real-time, meaning you don’t need to re-upload the file.
To use a Google Drive plugin, take the following steps:
- Open the PDF document on Google Docs.
- Click on More and select “Add-ons.”
- Click “Get Add-ons” and choose the one for your preferred PDF editor.
- Install the add-on and allow it to access data related to your document and storage device.
Google Docs is a PDF text editor that lets people work together on a document. This tool is especially important for businesses that thrive on collaboration.
For instance, remote workers can engage with other employees to complete tasks and review documents. The changes sync across devices in milliseconds, so you can rest assured that you won’t lose them.
Editing PDFs in your Google Docs isn’t complicated. Follow these steps:
- Go to your Google Drive account, and click on the file you want to upload. You can even decide to drag and drop the PDF file.
- Double-click the document so that you can edit it.
- At the top of the document, select “Open with Google Docs.”
- Start editing.
Many people use Google Docs as their free PDF editor because it offers premium editing features for free.
If you do not want to use a Chrome extension or Google Drive plugin, you can use an online PDF editor like Lumin PDF. These editors let you edit PDF online free without downloading any software.
Online editors let you mark up, highlight, add images, and tweak your PDF in so many more ways. For starters, marking up a PDF on Lumin PDF is as easy as following the steps below.
- Open the document using Lumin PDF editor.
- Go to the toolbar and click on the drawing icon on the PDF editor.
- Choose the color, thickness, and transparency of the drawing pencil.
- Click “Confirm” and mark the PDF.
Highlighting a PDF document is equally straightforward.
- Open the document in your PDF editor.
- Click on the text icon and choose a text box on the toolbar.
- Confirm and draw a text box around the text you want to highlight.
After highlighting your document, save the modifications and download the new copy to your local storage.
To add an image to your PDF document, follow the next few steps.
- Upload the document to your PDF editor.
- On the toolbar, click on the stamp icon.
- Choose where you want to put the image.
- Select an image from your computer.
- Open the image. It will automatically reflect in the position you picked in the third step.
You won’t always have a strong internet connection, and if you ever need to edit a PDF document urgently with slow network speeds, offline PDF editors are your best bet. Also, If you like to work during a commute or on your phone, you can benefit from offline PDF tools. There are many offline PDF editors, but the ones below are best for editing PDFs in most offline PDF tools.
If you don’t want to edit your PDF online, you can opt for an offline PDF editor for PC like Adobe Acrobat Reader. It is fast, doesn’t task your CPU, and delivers consistent results. The steps to edit PDFs with Adobe Acrobat are similar to those of online editors. The significant difference is that you can use the former offline; you only need to download the software on your device and update it regularly.
Yes, Preview on Mac is much more than a form-filling tool. You can use this PDF editor app to add comments, edit texts, highlight texts, and do lots more. Mac’s Preview has standard features comparable to the free version of Adobe Acrobat.
One of the popular functions on the PDF editor mac is PDF signing, and it’s pretty straightforward.
- Open the PDF on Preview.
- On your screen, click on tools and annotate.
- From the dropdown menu, click on the signature option.
- Click on “Manage Signatures.”
- Create, add, and save the signature to your document.
If you are particular about using free PDF editors, you can try the ones above. But whether you work offline or online, knowing the perks of the PDF editors on either side will help you choose the best PDF editor for your needs. Read this quick guide to get the hang of free PDF editors.